Sunday, November 29, 2009

Song of the Week - 4

Wow, the Thanksgiving holiday week has come and gone, and I broke my unspoken rule - to post at least two to three times a week. I guess that life gets in the way on occasion. Picking up mom. Cramming five days of work into three. Taking off early and taking mom shopping. Finishing up last minute holiday dinner grocery shopping. Cooking. Visiting with friends, blah, blah, blah. And now it's Sunday night. Ugh.

I did manage to catch the news this weekend and heard that this new movie, "New Moon" was the biggest money maker at the box office. This movie is based on a book from the "Twilight" series - tween books about vampires, forbidden love and the supernatural, written by apparently, a Mormon housewife. I haven't read the books yet, but am anxious to. Wow, Mormon housewife writing about supernatural stuff makes me wonder if she's still accepted in her church! No "meow" intended.

When I was a kid, I became obsessed with a popular soap opera at the time. I can't tell you how I discovered this show, but can tell you that I had to run home from school every single day to watch it. My friend, Lisa, and I, would trade off watching our FAV show between her house and mine. She lived two blocks away. We were obsessed. At the time, our moms were at home and not working out of the house.

In case you're wondering, the show was Dark Shadows! OMG, a daily soap opera about the goings on at this huge house called Collinwood. The house was owned by an "old money" family called Collins. They didn't know that their long deceased relative, one Barnabas Collins, was now a vampire. Yes! A creature of the night. Among the undead. A bloodsucker. There was just all kinds of chaos happening at Collinwood, and as a kid, I couldn't get enough. My obsession was so bad that I even had the "Barnabas Collins, Dark Shadows" board game. I really wish I still had that game, BTW.

I cannot recall the actual events, but I do remember my mom threatening to cut me off of my habit! Turns out one night I was screaming in my sleep. This woke my mom up. She ran into my room and once I was awake, she discovered I was screaming because of a nightmare I had about Dark Shadows. She told me I couldn't watch it any longer. NO! I freaked out. I couldn't be without my show. I begged, cried, carried on, promised to have no more nightmares, until she couldn't stand me any longer. She gave me an ultimatum - I could continue to watch, but the next time I had a nightmare - goodbye Dark Shadows. I never had another DS related nightmare - thank God.

I looked for the actual opening song to the original show. I did not find that clip with the waves crashing on the shore with the scary house in the background, but I did find a still of the house with the theme.

This week's song is the theme from that oh so FAB and scary soap opera, Dark Shadows. Sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment