Sunday, November 22, 2009

Song of the Week - 3

I was a kid in the 60s and in my opinion, that was the best time to grow up. That may seem strange considering it was such a turbulent time. The very unpopular Vietnam war was raging on, students were protesting, the civil rights movement was in full swing, horrible assassinations happened, the Manson family went on a murderous spree, California was being terrorized by Zodiac Killer.

On the bright side, cartoons were awesome and TV shows were too. I think it was mandatory for every TV show to have a great theme. That was probably because they were penned and performed by incredible bandleaders like Henry Mancini, Lalo Schifrin and Quincy Jones, to name a few. Clothes were fun and colorful, printed with things like flowers and peace signs. We could even put washable tattoos on our skin or clothes - Lancelot Links, Secret Chimp was available in Jiffy Pop popcorn. The other great thing about growing up in the 60s was all the fab music.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm pretty much obsessed with my hair. It is curly. Throughout my life, my curl pattern has varied, and sadly, I have had my share of bad hair cuts. I don't deal well with that. This week's song is a favorite (really, I have so many favorites). This was one of the many songs that we used to "go-go" dance in the living room to, surely to my parents' dismay.

I must say, before introducing this week's song, that I've always loved long hair on guys. True, not all guys wear it well, but why not grow it while you can? There will come a time when guys will either have to buzz their hair because of sports, or military service, or they join the corporate world, or they just start balding. When I see young guys with suede heads I am so tempted to say, "dude grow it while you can!"

The song, Hair, was from the theatrical production of the same name. There was also a very popular soundtrack. The version that was played on the radio, was recorded by (the real life inspiration for the Partridge Family) The Cowsills. I searched for vintage footage of this one but the only vintage footage was not very clear. This one was recorded live in this decade by the now adult Cowsills. I like that their live version has the verse that never made it to the popular recorded version:

My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son
Why don't my mother love me?

Enjoy and possibly go-go dance in your living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment