Sunday, November 22, 2009

Semper Fi, Pop

I was up and on the road early yesterday. I made the 99 mile trek up to my mom's house. My mission was to pick her up and bring her back to the cat house for the Thanksgiving holiday. When I got there, she was packed and ready to go. I did have one other mission, to hit the safety deposit box.

I was hoping to find my dad's draft registration, birth certificate, marriage or divorce records, or anything that might mention Lola. I didn't find any of these (hmm, obviously they were removed and are elsewhere) but I did find my dad's U.S.M.C. Honorable Discharge document.


Back at the cat house, we started reading the document. I discovered a few things about my dad that I was never aware of. I knew his service was in the Pacific, and now I have the time frame - from 15 Sept 1945 to 14 Aug 1946. He was inducted on the 22nd day of May 1945. His complexion was noted as "ruddy". His "Special military qualifications - Air Hydraulic, Mechanic" and Weapons qualification - Marksman - Rifle. He received a Good Conduct Medal and had no offenses.

My sister and I were intrigued by the mechanic qualification. Now, I am not sure if this qualification was aircraft or vehicle, but a mechanic none the less. During our teen years, when the cars would make weird noises or something didn't seem right, we'd always go to dad for help. His answer never changed, "Don't ask me. I'm not the damn mechanic." Well, pop, apparently you were.

His monthly rate of pay when discharged was $90.00. On the 26th day of August, 1946, he was "furnished" travel allowance at the rate of five cents per mile from San Diego, California to Maywood, California and was "paid $223.73 in full to date of discharge."

No comments:

Post a Comment