Saturday, November 7, 2009

Latina Style

Some people accomplish so much in such a short amount of time, while others accomplish little. What is it that drives some to achieve their goals while others can’t seem to get it together? I tend to fall into the latter category, I’m afraid. Not a great place for someone with dreams. I recently checked the alumni page of my high school senior class and was shocked to see how many classmates are now deceased. One in particular caught me by such surprise that I was immediately motivated to Google her.

Anna Arias (aka Anna Maria Arias) was in my class. We didn’t run in the same circle, but I knew who she was - a cheerleader, a class officer, and a loyal friend (from what I’ve read). She passed away October 1, 2001, succumbing to the illness aplastic anemia.

She was someone that had the drive to see her dreams become reality. She went to Hawaii once and fell in love with it. She told her mom that she was going to move there. She got a summer job and saved her money. She moved there! While in Hawaii, she worked and went to college. She graduated college and then moved to the DC area and found herself in politics. Seeing a need, she became a driving force for the economic empowerment of Latinas. She started a magazine called Latina Style. In 1998 she created the Latina Style Business Series as a way to give back to her readers. What she contributed in her 41 years is impressive. Her drive to help others succeed was, and is, commendable.

I did go to my local Borders Books to pick up the latest issue of Latina Style. Although they had the current issue of Serial Killer Magazine, sadly, they did not have Latina Style Magazine. I wonder if that is a sign to move to a new city.

Teachers come to us in many forms. Anna’s time on earth (in my opinion) helped, promoted and improved the lives of so many - and not just Latinas, but women and people in general. What she and her magazine offers can help anyone. She is proof that a dream and drive can produce desired and positive results.

This is my small tribute to an amazing woman. Please read more about her here where her life is better documented.

If you knew Anna, are familiar with the magazine, or are just inspired, please feel free to comment.

4 comments:

  1. Love your "Cat House Prints" Logo! - where can I find a link to your other artwork???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy. I'll post the link soon to my Etsy shop. I will also begin to share my artwork (especially the progress) here on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounded awesome! Wow! Procrastination can kill a dream, so lets stay motivated and make our dreams happen! What an inspiration Anna Arias was. Heard of the Magazine, and did not know she passed. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yvette! I completely agree with you that we must stay motivated and make our dreams happen! I should tell you that Anna, like myself were Rialto girls. I saw that your great grand uncle Robert lives there. Small world, eh?

    ReplyDelete