Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Theatre

I haven't been to the theatre in a while. One morning while heading to work, I stopped at the gas station. The station I generally go to has a local "oldies" radio station playing over the speakers, so you can hear tunes while watching your money get sucked up at the gas pump. This particular morning, the cast from a play were live on this station's morning show.

As I listened, I knew I had to get tickets. True, the opening of the production takes place before my time, but I knew all the songs. The play, "Baby its You", tells the story of New Jersey housewife, Florence Greenberg, who discovered The Shirelles and also started her own record label. That was a great accomplishment in the late 50s - early 60s! While folding laundry and cooking dinner for her husband (with dresses on and perfect hair and make-up), she listened to the radio and had a gift for music. She told her husband she had to follow her dream and moved back to New York to start her career in music. As I do not know all the details, I'm surely lacking valuable information and am motivated to learn more about her. Songwriter and producer, Luther Dixon, became her partner, in both work and life. This was truly scandalous at the time, not only a May-December relationship (I've read she was 48 and he was 28) but they were an interracial couple.

The music was so fabulous. The actors were as well. They ALL had amazing singing voices. It really blows my mind that these fabulous voices are not on vinyl! Considering artists currently popular and on vinyl is why I do NOT watch any music awards show.

This is not a paid advertisement. I do recommend seeing this show if you are in the Pasadena, California area. It has been extended through December 20th. I loved how some of my favorites made an appearance - Burt Bacharach and Dionne Warwick! I did see a local new stations cover this and talk about the show possibly going to Broadway. That would be cool because that would mean there'd be a great soundtrack coming out. The other positive factor was that the show also touched on history - something I love.

1 comment:

  1. I think CAts is coming out soon, I saw a sign when I was at the Pantages yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete