Saturday, December 19, 2009

Reindeer

My love of all things reindeer started when I was a kid. These amazing and beautiful creatures that could fly, without wings, pulling a sleigh with a jolly fellow and tons of presents, seemed magical to me. I just loved them and wanted to have one as a pet but living in a desert-like climate was not an ideal environment for live reindeer. Besides, our backyard was rather flat and contained more decorative rock than foliage.

Apparently, not to let the kids down, my parents came up with a solution. My sister and I got adorable blow-up reindeer. One Christmas morning, they were under the groovy metal tree along with my new Knit-O-Matic and my sister's new Don't Spill the Beans board game.



As an adult, I've managed to collect quite an assortment of reindeer. Ornaments, plush toys, statues. Reindeer on hand towels, wrapping paper, paper plates, gift boxes, treat bags, you name it. Also as an adult, I still love watching the Rankin-Bass classic TV production, Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. I love that animated Rudolph so much, that a few years ago, I was lucky enough to get myself this collectible ornament from Avon:



So, as you spend this final week before the Yuletide holiday finishing up shopping, baking, gift wrapping, gift making, maybe take a little time to reflect on the good things in your life - good health, family, friends, talents. Some say that expressing gratitude is good for the soul in so many ways. I'm going to give it try as I find this time of the year to be not only exciting, but somewhat stressful. I think I'll even try to carry this practice out year round.

Whatever or however you celebrate the holiday, may you be surrounded by the people you love and the things you love and may your holiday be filled with joy and cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment