Sunday, December 6, 2009

Song of the Week - 5

Let me start with a disclaimer. Anything I write here about music is ONLY my opinion and surely some might disagree with me.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I really feel lucky growing up when I did - a kid in the 60s and a teenager in the 70s. Add to that, my parents' love of swing, big band, swooners and my older sister with a bunch of cool records, and there was really never a quiet moment musically in our house. Before the (in my opinion back then) dreaded disco era, there was the glam era. So intriguing and very musical. Raw, energetic, heavy guitar riffs, peppered by cool (mostly) English guys with wild hair, costumes, and (gasp) make-up.

Future "Song of Week" posts will feature some of these greats. This post, however, will pay tribute to a more recent band. I may be considered a "drag" when it comes to modern music (or maybe I'm turning into my parents) but I really don't find modern music that interesting or good. Wimpy female voices attached to bodies trying to do nothing more than show off fake chests and "dance" moves. Female-bashing rap. Whining boy bands. A bunch of stuff that just sounds so "produced" and without any real creativity. Sure, we had that in the 60s too, and I did love that as a kid, but, still it was different and catchy back then.

This week's song reminds me so much of Iggy Pop and the Stooges and their raw sound. So, when I thought music was dead, along came this band. If any of you know of more modern bands that are good, please let me know. In the meantime, enjoy! The band is from Australia and called Jet. The song - "Are You Gonna Be My Girl".

No comments:

Post a Comment