Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day



Happy Veterans Day! I, like so many people, have veterans in my life, my mom and my dad for example. Plus friends, cousins, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, colleagues, and so on. These brave people put me to shame as I never had it in my to enlist. Of course, I'm too old now, but when I wasn't, the thought of that level of discipline was a huge turn off.

Back in my younger days, my mouth would have landed me in Guantanamo the minute an authority figure ripped the sheets and blankets off of my bed when the quarter didn't bounce off of it! Some people join because they need that level of discipline and some of us shy away because we don't know that we might benefit from that discipline. Others though, didn't have the luxury of NOT enlisting. I admire those that make such a commitment. I know many that did (whether voluntarily or not) that did benefit from their service. Many of my contemporaries didn't see war, luckily, but got much value out of their time enlisted - they saw the world, learned responsibility, and much more.

To all the men and women that have served, whether by choice or not, I salute you! Thank you for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment