Sunday, January 17, 2010

Song of the Week - 10

Music and song has always been a big part of my life. I grew up in a house where music was always on (or at least when the TV was off). My mom used to say that there was something wrong with people that did not like music. Probably true. Music is so vast and has made such a huge contribution to the world. No matter what your taste, there is surely something out there for you.

I have been doing a lot of reflecting lately. Not sure why. Maybe it's just normal. We get older, our lives change and take off in a direction that might be unfamiliar. I also believe that as we get older, we do get bolder. There's a sense of freedom to getting older. You can finally be OK with what you feel and think and not really be too concerned that your peers may find that odd. Actually, peers that are your friends, tend to be around for that ride, and can lend a great deal of support.

What I've learned over the years is that I (and most people really) are constantly changing and evolving. Oftentimes, that is good. Sometimes, it is a scary thing, and sometimes a sad thing. Losing what was once a part of you, can be both frightening and liberating. Our ideas and perspectives change. We sometimes even find that we don't recognize the person we once were. Is that really bad? Probably not, as being stagnant would be far worse, in my opinion.

What exactly does all this have to do with the song this week? I don't really know, other than I have spent a lot of time reflecting lately and feel this song addresses that. My reflection is evident in many aspects of my life. It plays a big part in my art, my thoughts, my journals and how I respond to things now compared to how I responded to things when I was in, say, my 20s. Shooting from the hip is much less a part of the current me. Sometimes I feel I'm less of a bitch than I used to be, but sometimes I feel I'm more of one. I completely embrace that, yet, when I was younger, the concept of changing seemed foreign to me. I'm glad that is no longer an issue. I think the inability to change and grow would truly be a drag. I can't even imagine now, being "stuck" where I was 20+ years ago. Could it be I've actually learned something about aging? Could it be that I'm handling the seasons of my life?

My song selection this week is one I love and one that I find haunting. I also think this one is timeless. When I was much younger, I loved many of Stevie Nicks' songs, but never really considered the person, or where these songs came from. Now that I've "grown up", I admire and respect her and in reflecting, am amazed at her ease of talent. Her ability to powerfully say things. Her gift of telling life stories so well through songs that you can't seem to get out of your head, I find amazing. If only more people had that gift (like myself, for one).

Sit back, listen, reflect and enjoy. Maybe this song will somehow talk to you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment