Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Coincidence or Divine Timing?

Does coincidence really exist? According to dictionaries, coincidence is the occurrence of events that happen at the same time by accident but seem to have some connection; also : any of these occurrences; a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance: Our meeting in Venice was pure coincidence.

According to metaphysics, nothing happens by mere chance. There is a reason for everything and a "divine" timing. Oddly enough, I can relate to the Divine timing theory, even though I'm not what you'd call a "religious" person. In fact, I'm turned off by a lot of the religious dogma. I am comfortable with the concept of a time for things to manifest, although, I'm have never been comfortable when that time doesn't jive with what I want. I was not raised to believe that there is a God and a Devil out there, both trying to get your soul. I am so thankful for that, BTW. I was raised to believe that the "Devil" is a sort of fable; not a horned creature hiding in the shadows, waiting to steal my soul, but rather a concept of the negative aspects that we can attach ourselves to and buy into.

I was raised with the idea that things will happen when we are ready for them and that "God" (or whatever you wish to call it) gives us what we can handle when we can handle it. All is in a "divine" order. Again, I was not raised to believe in traditional religious dogma, and am very, very thankful for that.

So, where am I going with this? I'll tell you. As I've mentioned here many times, I'm searching for my grandmother, Lola. A few odd chain of events occurred over the past two days.

Yesterday, one of my co-workers was telling me that all the information available on ancestry.com (a pay-for vehicle for genealogical research) is available for free at the LA City Library's website. She promised to send me that link. Then today, my PI friend sent me a message that she spoke with a woman from the State hospital where Lola was incarcerated and that this woman was gathering information to send, per our request. My PI friend had sent the original request before Thanksgiving and followed up today due to lack of communication from the hospital. Within minutes of receiving this message from my PI friend, another co-worker started to tell me about the LA City Library's site.

Well, how's that for timing? When my PI friend sent me her message, I was definitely choked up. Maybe they will be able to answer my many questions about Lola - did she die there? Was she released to anyone in particular? What were the dates of her time there? Since I cannot find anything to date about Lola after the 1930 census, this possibility is exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment