Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Non-Traditional Wedding Photo

When I think of all the extravagant weddings of late (especially during such financially challenging times) I can't help but appreciate the weddings of years gone by. A time when stockings were rationed along with food. A time when a world war was in progress, yet the farmer's daughters always looked well dressed and glamorous! A time when average "folk" didn't have video cameras to stupidly film their own "sexcapades" that would land on the world wide web causing them to try to fight that distribution in court and spending all their money (either inherited or riches from their reality television shows). And a time when a bride did not make a huge profit by getting married.

So, I shall step back to a time when people may have not always been so smart, but maybe just not so blatantly stupid. A different time indeed. A time when a girls form of rebellion may have been to marry a man her father did not approve of. Yes, that surely happens now, but probably not as much as stupid videos.

My maternal aunt, Patricia McPhee Dolan married a man named Frank Dolan in Canada in the 1940s. The marriage didn't last and I'm really not sure of all the details but when I was going through an old FANTASTIC photo album that belonged to my late aunt Sadie recently, I came across some wonderful pictures of the ceremony and discovered that my maternal grandfather, Dan McPhee, was not happy about this union (although he was there). I'll post more on that later.

I just love this photo and the dresses my aunts were wearing. If I recall the story correctly, someone made these for Aunt Pat's big day. Nothing fancy or extravagant, but beautiful nonetheless.

L-R Frank's uncle, Frank Dolan, Patricia McPhee Dolan, Sadie McPhee

4 comments:

  1. I love those dresses too! Their shoes are so great. People knew how to dress then.
    Thank you for the comments on my blog. I've left one of my own because something very similar happened just a few months ago here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photo! The dresses are so fantastic and the hairstyles are really fabulous! You got it right about how some things were more quaint in the past, sometimes I wish I had been born in simpler times. Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat - I saw your follow up comment. That's just so sad.

    Color Electric - thanks for stopping by and thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old weddings stories and the styles people would wear from simplistic to extravagant. Well, Patricia could have eloped. I can't wait to hear the rest of the story...and I hope you have pictures of your Grandfather present at the wedding..

    ReplyDelete