Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentine's Day...Already?

Wasn't it just Christmas? Where does the time go? It seems I barely got the tree and decorations put away and now heart shaped boxes filled with chocolate are everywhere.

I thought I should attempt to do some pieces with a holiday flavor, so I made Love Cat kind of with a Valentine feel (sort of) but thought I should do another one. I got a great little book called "Art at The Speed of Life". It is very inspiring. When I first got the book, it just sort of fell open to the page with a technique called Paint-Over, by artist, Lisa Bebi. I really liked the look. Basically, you take a photograph, enlarge it and make a photocopy and play.



I used both fluid acrylics (dry and watered down) and full bodied acrylics. I wasn’t too happy with the way the full bodied acrylics were more opaque than I wanted, but I thought the colors worked well.



I then decided to do the same picture again, and this time I used only fluid acrylics. Well, I like the transparency of the second project much better, yet prefer the overall color of the first one.



I want to experiment more with the technique as I have had a “series” in my head for a few months now and I think this is the technique for that series of prints. Better yet, I think I should take one of Lisa's paint over workshops! She teaches in Southern California. The series in my head lends itself well to my genealogy journey and the search for Lola. I have all the old family photos that are just begging for a new life.

If you're in the mood to make some fabulous holiday gifts for loved ones, check out The Crafty Chica's blog for great ideas and tutorials!

No comments:

Post a Comment