Friday, August 6, 2010

The Suspense is Too Much

This week I became a member of ISGS, Illinois State Genealogical Society. I thought this would be a great way to get research help, tips, and ideas from experts in the state where my grandmother and her family lived. You can also order copies of 1916 through 1947 death certificates through ISGS. A nice benefit of being a member is that ISGS can get the copies for you for $6 (members) or $10 (non-members). When I joined, I also ordered six death certificates. Too bad they do not offer the same service for the archived marriage certificates that I want to get my hands on!

Shortly after I joined and submitted my order for the six death certificates, I received communication welcoming me from a member! I replied and gave her an overview of my search (and the people in my tree I'm researching) and what I hoped to be able to achieve. I also mentioned my planned upcoming trip to Illinois in the fall and told her I'd like to be as well prepared as possible and welcomed suggestions in order to best utilize the time there.

So, after a few back and forth messages, I did ask if I'd receive the death certificates via email or US mail. I heard back from her this morning and she put them in the US mail on Monday, so I should be receiving them any day now! She also told me to pay special attention to Effie's, writing, "I think it is going to give you some ideas of the family dynamics re: contributing cause of death." I can't wait for the documents to arrive and I'm not sure if I'm excited to see it or scared to see it! Either way, it sounds interesting. Funny thing though, originally, I wasn't planning to order Effie's d/c and I couldn't tell you why other than I have her obituary and didn't see the point (stupid reason I think). But when I was placing the orders, I had a last minute feeling and added her. Oh man.

No comments:

Post a Comment