Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Found Lola

In my last post, I mentioned the death certificate I ordered for Marie Robinson. There were similarities that made me go ahead and order it. The last name, state of birth, year and month of birth and mother's maiden name. The one thing that didn't match was the first name. Well, the death certificate arrived on Tuesday and it is Lola! I couldn't believe it. Not only did the death certificate list Effie Beck as her mother, it listed George Cloos (born in Germany) as her father. It also listed Earl (Red, my grandfather) as her husband and listed marital status as separated.

I was and still am excited, shocked and sad all at the same time. She died and was buried under the name Marie, and I need to research that. I know where she is buried and now am ready to begin the next phase of my search - still so many questions.

She died in Auburn, California at DeWitt State Hospital. DeWitt closed in the early 1970s and through the State of California Department of Mental Health's website, I was able to find out where the records for DeWitt are maintained.

I called the Fairview Developmental Center (they maintain the records for DeWitt) on Wednesday. I gave the woman the info I had and she asked for my phone number and said she'd check the records. She called me back a few hours later - she found them!! She gave me a few little details and asked for my address so she could send me the records release form. She also told me what I would need to send back with the completed form (a copy of my birth certificate and a copy of my dad's to prove the relationship). Now I'm not sure yet what all I can expect to receive, and the form is a bit confusing, so I will have to call her tomorrow for some clarification.

So, Lola was in the state system as Marie. This might explain why Metropolitan State Hospital (where my dad said she was) claimed she wasn't at their facility. I plan to also contact them again and ask if they have records for Marie Robinson. Stay tuned as there will be more to come as this mystery unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment