Thursday, July 29, 2010

California Memorial Project Follow Up

So, yesterday I was thinking about my arranged call with the California Memorial Project that just somehow never happened and decided to send a follow up email about it. We were supposed to talk on June 2 and that wasn't convenient and I was told that June 7 was better. I replied that I was fine with that. Then, again, nothing.

I'm hoping that I will hear something back. It has been more than 24 hours since the follow up email and "all is quiet" there. Maybe my "contact person" is on vacation (hopefully) and will get back to me next week. I just find it absolutely amazing that what began as a search for my grandmother has revealed tons of family members that I never knew existed, yet, nothing on Lola. I have found her parents, her aunts and uncles and cousins and siblings. I have even found the spouses and children of her cousins and siblings, just not her. She has, at this point, vanished "on record" after 1932. I know she lived and existed, yet don't know what ultimately happened to her. I know what I've heard from my dad and am not going to give up searching for answers. I know Lola was alive late 1930s to early 1940s when my dad last saw her. She was in the State Hospital at that time - the same hospital that will not even talk to me without a "court order".

Now, I'm thinking I need to focus on ordering some death records from Illinois. I'm going to get Bessie's (Lola's sister), Bessie's brother in law, William's, and my great grandfather, George's death records. Maybe there will be some hidden information in these certificates. I have found that often times, that is the case - names of people, addresses, burial information. From there, especially with burial information, is moturary contact and the possibiity of obituaries that have just escaped the internet. Obituaries are also full of information and names. Looks like I've got my weekend work cut out for me.

And speaking of the weekend, tomorrow is my day off and I'm going to take a fun workshop at the Pasadena Bead and Gem Show! This is going to be fun. The workshop focuses on glass cutting and soldering. I love doing that and have taken a few classes already, yet, once I leave these classes, I tend to NOT do anything. I hope that this will be the class that makes me break my mold and that I'll then come home and actually cut glass and solder and make pendants and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment