Sunday, March 7, 2010

Song of the Week - 12

Well, I've been away for few weeks and I'll address that in a different post.

The Academy Awards was on tonight. I was really happy that the Hurt Locker won. I had every intention of watching it before the show, but just didn't get around to it.

I spent three years sending people to Iraq to rebuild a country that was destroyed by a war I did not agree with. The men and women of the armed forces were there, doing their jobs. I sent people (Government Contractors) there that were making a hell of a lot more money than the men and women in uniform, just doing their jobs. I won’t spend any time on this topic except to say that Iraq was not a real war (whatever that really might be) and should not have happened, in my opinion.

I can’t think of too many people that have not had someone in their life in uniform. Both my dad and my mom served their countries (my dad the US and my mom Canada) during WWII. I know young people now currently serving and I want to salute all of them. This includes those that went to Viet Nam, be it on their own or by the draft. The men and women that came home to ridicule and not fanfare or parades. The service people that were prisoners of war or missing in action. The people whose names were on the metal bracelets we bought as kids in the 60s and faithfully wore, hoping to learn someday that they would come home safe.

I have read and heard that this week’s song was written by Doors guitarist Robby Krieger. Apparently the song was about a soldier/sailor on his last day with his girlfriend before shipping off to war. How very cool and what a great song. Enjoy. The Doors, Love Me Two Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment